Monday, September 13, 2010

View, haloo! Oh yes, definitely, view haloo.

Ya ever get alllll sorts of excited to introduce your kids to one of your allllll time favorite movies only to have it fall flat?  I have been so, so excited to have the kids watch Mary Poppins.  When we had the flood, our VCR bit the dust.  Which was kind of a suck since we had so many darn video tapes.  One of which was Mary Poppins.  Wonderboy found the box to the video and had been asking to see it.  Yes!

I had put Netflix on hold this summer because we were just too busy to be watching movies on a regular basis.  But it kicked back in on Sept 1 and I was all sorts of pumped to put that first on the list.  I mean, come on!  Mary Poppins!!  Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! Tuppence a bag! Step-in-time! A wooden leg named Smith!  What could possibly be better?

Apparently, the new drawing program the Mr has installed on the computer.  Sigh.  Although they did get through most of it.  They really liked the chalk picture and the tea-party on the ceiling, and they loved Step-in-time.  (I mean really, who doesn't?)  But I think the final message was just a bit over their heads.  Or their attention span. 

I admit, I was bummed.  I wanted them to be rapt.  I wanted them to be enthralled.  I wanted them to get the total joy of Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke.  I got about half-rapt.  I guess, for a first viewing, that's not too bad.  Maybe it's just that there are so many options out there for them today, a movie like Mary Poppins is just not sophisticated enough.  And to that I say...PPHHHFFFTTTTT!  My kids will damn well love this movie!  I will force feed them this film until they can recite every line and love doing it! 

Okay.  Not really.  Or... only sort of.